To mark World IP Day 2020, Lex Regia organized a webinar on the theme, “Post Covid-19: IP 4 Green Future” on April 26, 2020. This global pandemic “Covid-19” has radically disrupted the lives of the people across the globe. And yet, every day we see the inspiring determination of people to overcome this adversity and fight the challenges it poses. The government, health industry, and various other avenues are putting efforts in finding ways out of this global issue.
“Innovation provides options and is the key to unlocking the solutions and approaches we need to create a sustainable and green future- Francis Gurry, WIPO Director General”. A green future means tackling climate change and IP-driven innovation will be key to solving this shared, global challenge. IP-driven innovation holds incredible potential in these times of global emergency. Innovation and innovative thinking can go a long way in solving our global shared challenges, creating a green future along with helping us to mitigate the aftermath of this current state of emergency.
With this in mind, Lex Regia hosted a discussion on how IP will drive us towards creating a sustainable and green future post the pandemic.
Goals and Objectives:
- To analyze the current global and national state.
- To identify global challenges.
- To spread awareness on how IP can contribute to green future.
- To take a look at how IP encourages innovation and development.
- To discover how IP supports the emergence of a green economy.
- To discuss the role of IP in creating a sustainable and green future.
Event Title: – “Post Covid-19: IP 4 Green Future”
Host: Lex Regia, Nagpur
Date: April 26, 2020
Hosted with: Zoom App
Timing: 16:00- 17:30
No. of participants: 42
To mark World Intellectual Property Day 2020, Lex Regia organized a webinar discussion on the theme “Post Covid-19: IP 4 Green Future”. The main focus of the webinar was to discuss the role of IP in creating a sustainable and green future and, also addressing the global issues pertaining to the pandemic and during its aftermath. Dr. Ushoshi Guha, Director, Lex Regia, and Dr. Rakhi V. Vyaghra, Senior Associate, Lex Regia, were on hand to open the discussion. Dr. Pawan Kulkarni introduced the subject and Mr. Abhilash Sahare, Analyst was the co-ordinator.
Mr. Jayont Deore, Ex-Asia Coordinator- United Nations Industrial Development Organization, was the chief speaker for the webinar. Mr. Deore focused on the innovation budget and its importance on a national level to encourage innovation.
Keynote speaker Dr. Rajesh Biniwale, Director General, Research for Resurgence Foundation, focused on how to grab innovative opportunities post the pandemic, in terms of intellectual inputs and how IP is important to encourage such innovations. Another keynote speaker, Mr. Prashant P. Parlewar, Director, MSME-Nagpur, identified the role of MSME in spreading IP awareness and introduced the various support schemes like the formation of IP Facilitation Cells in research institutes for encouraging seamless surge in innovations across the nation.
Dr. Amit Dubey, Scientist ‘D’, Chattisgarh Council of Science and Technology, explained how the pandemic induced lockdown in various parts of the globe has affected the pollution levels and has drastically reduced it to a point where nature has started to bloom again in ways we have forgotten. This change has also led to the realization of a ginormous need for green technologies and innovation for a green future. Dr. Dubey also emphasized that fact that green technologies fall in the category of open innovation and how IP will help protect and also embolden its growth. He also focused that traditional knowledge can also be upgraded as green technology.
Mr. Pankaj Borkar, Dy. Controller Patents & Head RGNIIPM introduced the various provisions the Indian Intellectual Property Office has to facilitate the filing and obtaining of IPRs in India.
Dr. D. K. Agrawal, Additional Director Research, KIMSDU, shared how IP has catalyzed innovations and has encouraged the innovators to come up with various green technologies. Dr. Bhanu Rajgopalan, Mr. Nikhil Chawan, and Dr. Ulhas Chandekar, Disha Ecoloc Pavers Ltd., shared how they produce their products in a very eco-friendly way, the products being eco-friendly themselves, and are contributing to a green future. Other respected speakers, Mr. Amit Delori, Mr. Milind Raj, Mr. Saxena, Dr. Payal Thaorey, Adv. Omkar Deshpande also emphasized on the focal role of IP in motivating the innovators to come up with solutions that help in creating a green future.
Participants of the webinar got a chance to express their views on the theme and also to put forth their queries to be answered by the panel of esteemed speakers. The webinar concluded with the key takeover being how innovation and the IP system supported with the global efforts can become the driving force for creating a green future supporting the sustenance, and well-being of humanity.
20-POINT RESOLUTION FOR 2020 BY LEX REGIA:
- Inculcate and motivate sense of innovation in the minds of young researchers.
- Introduce the role and importance of IP to innovators.
- Introduce the significance of green innovation for green future.
- Identify the global challenges in achieving sustainable and green future.
- Identify green solutions to overcome the global challenges
- Focus on role of IP in creating a sustainable and green future.
- Focus on the support IP provides in the emergence of green economy.
- Suggestions on increasing the national innovation budget.
- Grab innovative opportunities that arise post-pandemic to encourage green innovation.
- Emphasize and educate innovators about the role of MSME in supporting and encouraging innovation.
- Formation of IP-Facilitation cells across the nation to facilitate innovators.
- Identify the enormous need for green innovation and technology.
- Identify role of Traditional Knowledge for green innovation.
- Identify importance and contribution of Traditional Knowledge in creating a green future.
- Identify and help Indian IP Office to embolden green innovation.
- Use IP and green innovation to mitigate the aftermath of the pandemic.
- Educate about the role of IP system as a driving force towards a green future.
- Make environment sustainability a priority and key centre for innovators.
- Inspire innovators and researchers to work together and contribute towards green future.
- Explore and find solutions that open pathways towards a green future.